Believe it or not, I actually do more than just take photographs in my business. Honestly, most photographers, including myself, only take photos 20% or less of the time in our business. I wanted to explain to you what the other 80% of my business looks like.
Accounting & bookkeeping
Never have I ever claimed that I am a bookkeeper or have an accounting background. Honestly, if it wasn’t for my dad having a background in business finances and giving me tips and tricks I would be VERY lost. I mean, I understand basic personal finance, but having to do it for a business is a completely different story. This includes balancing my books, keeping and documenting every single expense, prepping for taxes, keeping all invoices, and understand profit and loss statements.
I answer phone calls, I reply to emails, I correspond with vendors, and even hand write thank you notes to my clients. Anything an administrative assistant does, I do.
Taking time out of my schedule to research trends, different client portals, labs, and to see what works best for my clients is important. I want to make sure everything I do makes the clients life easier. I also use this time to research for any of the blog posts that I write.
I have to learn about everything that I am talking about throughout this blog post because I had NO idea what to do (and still sometimes have to Google some things). I have to make time to not only learn these things, but get better at my own craft. I go to conferences, take online courses, and read personal development and business books constantly.
My business has it’s own newsletter that goes out monthly called Snapshots. So I have to prepare this and make it visually appealing. I also use this for any flash sales as well as any freebies that I offer!
Social Media Marketing
This one takes up a LOT of time. Learning trends in the social media world, and what to post and making up content for it to go along with my website, sessions, and blog posts is some of the things that go into it.
This is what I do after every single session, plus my own “for fun” photos. This takes up a big chunk of time as I have to go through every image and alter it just right.
Setting up programs
This includes prepping for programs that my clients will be using. I try to make each and every step easy for the client, so I am constantly looking for new programs and tweaking them to make the experience better.
This is when I am either doing an on the phone or in person consultations. Since I offer this to anyone that I get a request from, this can add up with my time. Plus, I do research and take the time to get these set up.
I blog every single week. I have a blog up every Tuesday at 10 am. This takes a LOT of time. I want to make sure the content is valuable, as well as interesting, well thought out and researched. Creating something that can actually be of benefit to anyone is a lot. I also try to come up with some freebie that can go along with it and make Pinterest graphics.
I have to study my analytics for my email, social media, and website to see what performs the best. That way, I can make more things like that for my audience and for my clients. When you add up all of those platforms, it can be intense.
This includes ordering supplies, ordering gifts for clients and their products. This could also include me getting an order ready (coming up with albums, wall art, etc.) for the client.
Are you surprised? I am not sure most people see what this side looks like, so how could you know? I am going to start tracking my time by “clocking in & out” when I am on certain tasks, just to see what my actual time is. I would be curious to see this. Would you?