One of my favorite times of the year is summer. Warm weather, flip flops, the sun is out forever, the lake, and my absolute favorite, BBQ. If I had to choose a favorite food item I would just list BBQ because everything made is my favorite. With it being National BBQ Month, I wanted to share some photos of the most recent Primetime event which included a BBQ cook-off!
People always ask me which is better to do, indoor or outdoor sessions. Honestly, they are both great. I like doing both. It honestly is which is better for you and your needs. So I wanted to do a quick post about the pros and cons of things you need to think about when picking the type of session you want.
- You don't have to worry about what the weather. Rain, shine, cold, hot, won't matter if you are inside.
- Your setting is more controlled. It has to do with the weather as well. No wind to worry about, you can get more lighting in your own home. There are no outside factors coming in. You know how your house works or if you go someplace inside it's a pretty controlled environment.
- You can use the items/backgrounds around you for props or use in your session. If you want to go into an old school diner for your session, you can use a soda or even some food for props with your session. At your home, you can use a game board or even coffee cups as your props.
- Better lighting. The best light comes from the sun. No artificial light can compare to it. (Not really).
- You can use the outdoors as your props. My favorite example is bushes. Something about putting people in bushes or plants to surround the client makes wonderful photos. I am not sure why, but it does.
- (Almost) unlimited options. You can choose so many places to go and choose many different ways to have your session. You can even choose to embrace the weather if it goes sour. I've always loved trying unusual weather situations for sessions.
Hopefully, these little tidbits will help you see the difference between outdoor sessions and indoor sessions and help you pick the best type of session for you and your needs.
Owner & Photographer | Kaytee Lorentzen Photography